Sometimes all that’s needed to bring new life to a room in your home is to give it a fresh coat of paint. Painting your home is a common and fairly simple DIY project, but it’s important to have the right tools and knowledge before you jump in. Take a look at our checklist and tips for creating the most professional look possible in the most efficient manner.
Painting Your Home: What You’ll Need
Every big project requires the right set of tools. Go through the following checklist of supplies before beginning your home painting project to make sure you have everything you need to get the job done right:
- Brushes (angled and flat)
- Paint roller (plus additional roller heads)
- Paint tray(s)
- Drop cloths/tarps
- Tape measure
- Paint stir stick
- Pour spout for paint cans
- A 5-gallon bucket (for large amounts of paint)
- Painter’s tape
- Hole-filling compound and putty knife
- A screwdriver (for removing switch plates, vent covers, etc.)
Tips and Tricks for DIY Home Painting
- Wash the walls carefully beforehand and fill any existing holes or gouges with the filler compound before painting. Use the putty knife to scrape over the hole and make sure the filler is even with the wall.
- Check that you’ve done your calculations correctly and have the right amount of paint to coat the room to the desired opacity. For some colors, it may take several coats to achieve the expected intensity.
- Remember to prime any walls that need it before you start applying color. Bare, unprimed walls can absorb a great deal of paint on the first few coats.
- Do a paint test on an inconspicuous area of the wall so that you can see what it looks like after it’s dry. This helps you be confident in your color choices and see what it will really look like in that room’s lighting.
- Remember to choose a paint finish based on the function of the room you’re painting. A flat paint finish is best for low-traffic rooms due to cleaning difficulty, while an eggshell or satin finish does well in high-traffic areas where the walls will need to be cleaned regularly.
Get High-Quality Benjamin Moore Paint and More from JC Licht
If you live in the Chicago area and are looking for the best quality of paint for your home, JC Licht has the expansive color selection and inventory of painting tools to make your project a smashing success. Whether you’re looking to buy interior paint in a bold hue or an exterior wall paint in a neutral tone, we can help you find just the right color and finish. To explore our inventory of Benjamin Moore paints and supplies, visit us today at one of our 44 locations across the Greater Chicago area.