The Problem: The loss of adhesion when water-based topcoats are applied over old alkyd/oil-based paint.
Causes: The use of a water-based latex paint over several layers of an old alkyd/oil-based coating, causing “lift off” of the old paint from the surface.
How-to-fix: Remove all loose and peeling paint. Prepare the surface by cleaning and sanding, followed by the use of a high-quality primer and paint.
- Benjamin Moore Fresh Start® Enamel Underbody Primer is optimum for interior wood trim, doors and cabinets.
- Benjamin Moore Fresh Start® Acrylic Latex Primers and Sure Seal™ Acrylic Latex Primer are suited for previously painted drywall, exterior wood and masonry surfaces.
- Stix® Waterborne Bonding Primer by Insl-x® will ensure top coat adhesion to challenging surfaces including PVC, Vinyl, Plastic, Glass, Glazed Block, Pre-Coated Siding, Fiberglass and Aluminum surfaces.
- Benjamin Moore Aura® Interior, Regal Select® Interior and ben® Interior Paints, along with Benjamin Moore Advance® for interior trim, doors and cabinets come in a wide variety of finishes.
- Benjamin Moore Aura® Exterior, Regal Select® Exterior and ben® Exterior Paints are premium coatings that come in a wide variety of finishes and build levels.